Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Solids are boring

So far, I have to say I'm not a fan of weaning. [delay of 24 hours cos little t woke up and then things got busy] Basically it's a lot of faffing.

It's very slow, and is very messy, to cook this stuff. The mashing of the cooked vegetables, and then portioning them out into ice cube trays for freezing covers the kitchen in goop.

It's very slow to prepare the stuff for eating. You have to unfreeze it (I haven't worked out a reliable, easy way to do this; and suggestions?), and then sit little t in the chair (we use a bumbo as he's so small) and put his bib on (full body bib of course, why even chance having his clothes dirtied). You may even have to make up a little baby rice or something. And if little t is hungry, what a nightmare!

It's very slow to be consumed. Little t will usually eat all the food, but it will take him 30-40 minutes! He spends most of that time looking away, I'm guessing he's swallowing it, so I don't push him. I also don't want meal time to become a fight, so take it as calmly as I can. And it's not that he doesn't want/like the food, he just isn't that interested.

And finally, it's not too bad to clean up, though certainly messy.

All up I'd say it now takes a good hour per meal.

All compared to a bottle which requires; buying formula, preparing and heating formula (4 minutes), feeding formula (10 minutes at most), cleaning bottle and steralizing (5 minutes). What's that, about 19 minutes, at worst.

Oh those heady days...

No comments:

Post a Comment